Why Is Waxing Necessary?
Many people consider waxing to be necessary, even though it is not essential, because it is more hygienic. Doctors and skin specialists usually recommend getting waxed in order to avoid the spread of disease. If you wax regularly, your skin becomes accustomed to the procedure and your hair follicles weaken with time.
Waxing hinders hair from growing at an increasing rate. After each waxing session, hair grows back slower the next time and you will find that your skin becomes silky smooth. That silky smooth feeling is definitely addicting and after the first time, you’ll want it back every month.
A lot of people ask the question: why not shave your body hair? Although shaving does the same job, it does not lead to the decrease in hair growth that waxing does. Shaving can also cause cuts if not done properly.
Types Of Wax
There are four basic types of wax and you can decide which one suits you best. It is important to make sure that the type of wax you use on your body suits you. Some wax can react badly to your body and cause rashes, pimples, or other types of skin degradation. Here’s a little description of each type of wax so you know them better:
- Soft/Strip Wax: This type of wax is typically used for the larger areas of your body i.e. your arms, legs, etc. You use soft wax by applying it directly onto the skin via a wooden stick and then pulling it off in strips. This wax is hypersensitive and pulls out all the tiny hairs on the surface of your skin leaving it smooth. You need to be careful not to apply the soft wax on the same area of the body multiple times because it may lead to rashes and red spots.
- Hard Wax: This type of wax is mostly used for smaller areas of the body like upper lips, the bikini area, and armpits. It can be applied multiple times on the skin without any fear of getting hurt. It is quite easy to work with and the process of its use is similar to strip waxing.
- Fruit Wax: Fruit wax works a lot like hard wax but is gentler on the skin. Most beauty therapists and skin specialists advise women to use fruit wax regularly rather than hard or soft wax.
- Chocolate Wax: This is a luxury wax that capitalizes on the healing and nutritious benefits of chocolate seeping into your pores. It is extra costly but has a lot of benefits as well.
Kinds Of Waxing
Now that you know all about the different types of wax, you should educate yourself on the different kinds of waxing procedures. There are three types of waxing procedures that are common. Here’s a little description of them.
- Nail Waxing: Nail waxing is quite easy as long as you have the proper equipment. The process is simple, all you have to do is apply a bit of wax on each of your nails and then use the nail buffer to gently bring about a natural shine to your nails. Make sure you moisturize your nails so that they strengthen themselves after the buffering they have just gone through. The moisturizing will also help keep your nails from chipping.
- Face Waxing: Waxing on the face is usually done via hard/fruit wax. This is because the facial area is very sensitive and the hair are extremely fine. The wax is applied elegantly either by hand or a thin tool and then stripped off. This process is usually used for the upper lips, eyebrows and any other area you might want to be done.
- Body Wax: Body waxing quite literally refers to waxing off hair on different parts of your body. Women primarily wax their arms, legs, bikini line, and armpits. But body wax is and can be done all over the body wherever fine hair may be present.
Different Areas Of The Body That Are Waxed
As we have talked about above, there are various areas on the body that are waxed. The trick is to be gentle yet firm with the wax so that there isn’t any unnecessary hair pulling or damage. Here is a list of areas on the body that are commonly waxed.
- Face: Face wax takes the least amount of time to complete if you go to a professional. It’s also much less painful than getting facial hair threaded off, which is extremely painful. After getting your face waxed, it’s important to moisturize or ice your face so that all the open pores close up.
- Neck: There are many women who have excessive hair growth regularly around their neck, giving off the impression that they are growing a beard. In order to get rid of hair on the neck quickly, women prefer to get their necks waxed at the same time as getting their facial hair waxed. It makes life easier.
- Arms: Arms and armpits are one of the most common areas of the body that are waxed. Women’s fashion comprises a lot of sleeveless clothes and women prefer to wear them without any body hair showing on their armpits. Armpit hair is also waxed off because it can be unhygienic. For example, armpit hair can cause continuous and excessive sweating.
- Legs: This is a no-brainer. I mean, who doesn’t want silky smooth legs! Especially when you want to wear shorts and skirts in those summer months. Waxing your leg hair can also provide you with ease because hair on your legs can cause hair friction between your legs that can irritate and causes rashes.
- Back: The back is not an area that is regularly waxed but once you get into the habit of waxing it, you won’t be able to stop. Although most women do not think they have a lot of hair on their backs, there is always some fine hair that you can choose to get waxed.
- Stomach: If you ever want to wear a bikini but are insecure about your hairline, then hurry up and just go get your stomach waxed. Your stomach only has very few fine hairs that go away once they’re waxed and allow you to enjoy your bikini body in a wondrous fashion.
- Brazilian: Most women are scared of getting a Brazilian wax done. The fear is understandable because a Brazilian wax concerns the most sensitive area on your body – your vagina. If you’re worried about the pain, don’t be. All you have to do is take a deep breath and trust that the wax specialist knows what they’re doing. It’s just a matter of minutes and a few strips and you’re done!
- Butt Strip: The name speaks for itself. The Butt strip is quite literally waxing done on the area around your anus and that is it. If you’re worried about pain, this part doesn’t hurt too bad.
- Buttocks: Last but not least are the buttocks. This area, like the back, is not often waxed by many women. But those who do have reportedly said that it feels quite good to feel smooth skin on that part of your body as well.
How To Become Qualified In Waxing?
Like any other profession in the world, waxing requires training and a bit of coursework. If you’re a beauty therapist then learning how to wax is probably a part of your in-depth studies. If you are not a beauty therapist then you can learn how to wax from a salon and their trained professionals. If you want to be able to wax like a professional, then it is imperative that you acquire a license. To get a professional waxing license, you’ll have to attend a beauty school or certification program.
Waxing is also an art that can be learned through an online school or beauty videos on YouTube. Make sure that you watch videos that show you how to do each step easily and cleanly. However, these videos will not make you a certified practitioner.
Various Income Opportunities in Waxing
Body waxing is a specialization in beauty therapy. The people who are waxing professionals have to be properly certified and licensed by the country they are practicing in so that their customers can be assured of their qualification and skill. A waxing specialist can quite easily work as a contracted individual, a freelancer, as an employee of a salon or even a cosmetics company.
How much income a waxing professional can generate depends on the place and the hours being put in by the specialist. On average a waxing specialist earns around 33,000$ per year. Reportedly waxing specialists earn around 17.05$ per hour. The top 10% of the best wax specialists are statistically earning around 55,000$ per year. Of course, the rate of your salary depends on where you are working and who you are working for. This is why it is important to be properly certified so that you earn what you deserve.